Chatbot buttons are the most common method of providing navigation in decision-tree chatbots. They are available in the majority of conversation channels (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, etc).
Example of a message with three buttons
Please note that buttons have certain limitations. For example, on Facebook Messenger, you can have a maximum of 3 buttons per message and the length of each button is limited to 20 characters including smileys.
There are three button types in Activechat:
- Event buttons will trigger a specific chatbot event when clicked by the user. This is primarily used for navigation purposes – clicking a button will launch a specific skill in your chatbot conversation. There are two types of event buttons in Activechat:
- “Trigger event” will launch another chatbot skill by sending an event
- “Launch block” buttons can be used to launch specific blocks in the same skill
- URL buttons will open a website – either in a webview or in the new browser window (if used in website chat widget)
- Phone call buttons will start a phone call (on mobile devices) to the specified phone number
You can mix different button types in the same block.
Use “+” sign in block editor to add buttons of various types:
Adding buttons to chatbot messages
Check our Building Chatbot Conversations manual for more details on using buttons to trigger skills and launch block sequences.